Black and white
Video with 1 note
Video reblogged from curiosity counts with 80 notes
The Fundamental Elements of Design – concise, to-the-point animation by Erica Gorochow
Text reblogged from ph squared with 5 notes
Part 1: The Elements of a Design
Part 2: The Principles of Design
Part 3: Basics of Composition
10 ANSWERS by Paula Scher
1. How would you describe your work in three words?
I would not.
2. Who is your creative role model?
3. If you had an extra hour each day what would you do with it?
4. What place in the world most inspires you and why?
Paris. It touches all my senses.
5. If you could do a different job for a day what would it be and why?
6. What is your favorite homemade gift to give?
I never give homemade gifts.
7. What is your favorite object in your home?
My bookshelf and books.
8. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
Illustrate with type.
9. What websites do you use for inspiration?
10. When do you consider a piece of your work complete?
When it’s done.
Photo with 5 notes
Space rocket logo design by ?
Photo with 6 notes
Dieter Rams Influence
I have always been a great fan of Apple and their industrial design. Jonathan Ive, Senior Vice President of Industrial Design at Apple, is the principal designer of the iPod, Macbook Pro, iPhone and the iMac. But where does he gets his inspiration.
Look no further than Dieter Rams. Rams was a key figure in German design and worked as head of Braun’s design staff in the 60s. Quotes from Rams reveal a parity with the design ethos of Jonathan Ive:
As designers we have a great responsibility.
I believe designers should eliminate the unnecessary.
That means eliminating everything that is modish because this kind of thing is only short-lived.
Jonathan Ive’s dedication to “honesty” and “simplicity” in design pays great homages to Dieter Rams’ 10 Commandants in Design:
• Good design is innovative.
• Good design makes a product useful.
• Good design is aesthetic.
• Good design helps us to understand a product.
• Good design is unobtrusive.
• Good design is honest.
• Good design is durable.
• Good design is consequent to the last detail.
• Good design is concerned with the environment.
• Good design is as little design as possible.
And here are some similarities between Braun and Apple Products.
Page 1 of 2